OPEN FAQs for Parents
Please review the FAQs listed below to help you navigate Avenues OPEN. We will continue to add updates to the FAQ based on all the questions we receive, but if you have questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I review and update my profile information (address and email changes, etc.)
- How do I change my password after I login?
- How do I access Magnus Health and Health Forms?
Updating family/student information can only be done through parent accounts. Please attempt to use Avenues OPEN to update any family information before contacting the school. This will ensure both accuracy and efficiency.
After logging into the portal, scroll to the bottom of the page until you reach the gray footer and click on “Household Profile":
First, review your Household Contacts Information:
- Household Contacts
- Emergency Contacts
- Pick-up Authorization
- General Communication Recipients
- Report Card Recipients
- Next, review your Family Information:
- Change Primary address
- Manage School Communication
- Update Employers
- Billing Information
- Inform of us any household changes (custody, divorce, separation, new spouse).
Please complete the forgot password process as it will verify your email account and send you a link. Please note this link will expire after 30 minutes. You must enter the email address we have on file for you. If you receive an error message of any kind, please contact parent portal support.
Please go to: https://accounts.veracross.
There are two ways to access Magnus Health.
Option 1: Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Health Forms to be redirected to the Health and Nurse page.
Next, click on the "Magnus Health" icon or the Launch Magnus Health button:
Once you click on the Magnus Health link, you should see the Magnus Dashboard.
- Sync the school calendar to your personal calendar
- How to subscribe to Calendars (mac Os / iCloud / iPhone)
- How to subscribe to calendars (Outlook)
- How to Subscribe to Calendars (Gmail)
- How to Unsubscribe from Calendars
For your convenience, you may choose to sync a school calendar to your personal calendar. Please follow the instructions below to subscribe or unsubscribe to relevant school calendars based on your device/calendar.
We recommend that you select All School Calendar your Division (e.g., Lower Division) and the Grade of your child (e.g., ELC Grade K).
To subscribe to any of the calendars, please follow these steps below.
1) Visit the Calendar page
2) Click on the RSS Icon above the calendar. A pop up will then appear with the calendars available to you.
3) Click the iCal Icon for each calendar you want to sync to your personal calendar. If you are using a mobile device, please double click. We recommend that you select All School Calendar your Division (e.g., Lower Division) and the Grade of your child (e.g., ELC Grade K)
4) Once you select on the iCal Icon you will be presented with an option to choose an iCal version for your personal Calendar. If you select the Default Calendar App, this will automatically add it to your mac / iCloud calendar.
5) On a mobile device, you will see a pop-up confirming you want to subscribe to the calendar. Click subscribe to save the subscription.
On a computer, a new window will open your default Calendar and auto fill the calendar url. Click subscribe. Once added, you can then update the name if needed.
The instructions vary depending on what version of Outlook you are using. Determine which version you are using and follow the corresponding instructions to subscribe to a calendar (do not follow the "import a calendar" instructions as events will not automatically update):
1) Visit the Calendar page
2) Above the calendar, you will need to click on the RSS Icon above the calendar. A pop up will then appear with the calendars available to you.
3) Click the green iCal Icon next to the calendar you want to sync to your personal calendar. If you are using a mobile device, please double click. We recommend that you select All School Calendar your Division (e.g., Lower Division) and the Grade of your child (e.g., ELC Grade K).
4) Once you select the iCal Icon you will be presented with an option to choose an iCal version for your personal Calendar. Select Get Standard iCal URL, and copy the url that appears at the top of your screen.
5) Sign into Outlook and follow the instructions in the Outlook help article.
**Unfortunately, adding school calendars to your google calendar can only be done on a computer.
This is due to gmail's limited mobile interface and app functionality.**
1) Visit the Calendar page.
2) Click on the RSS Icon above the calendar.
3) In the pop-up, click the iCal Icon next to the calendar you want to sync to your personal calendar. We recommend that you select All School Calendar your Division (e.g., Lower Division) and the Grade of your child (e.g., ELC Grade K).
4) Once you select the iCal Icon you will be presented with an option to choose an iCal version for your personal Calendar. Select Get Google iCal URL and copy the URL that pops up at the top of your screen.
5) Open up your google calendar.
6) Click the + sign next to “Add a friend’s (or coworker’s) calendar.” Select From URL.
6. Enter the url and click Add Calendar:
**Unsubscribing from calendars is recommended to only be completed on a computer, unless using the iOS (iPhone) steps listed below.**
iCloud (on a computer)
1. Go to iCloud Calendar.
2. Find the calendar that you want to unsubscribe from and click the radar symbol:
3. Click Leave Calendar.
macOS (on a computer)
1. Open Calendar.
2. Right-click the calendar that you want to unsubscribe from and select Unsubscribe.
iOS (on a phone)
1. Tap Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Subscribed Calendars.
2. Tap Subscribed Calendars, and then tap the calendar that you want to delete.
3. Tap Delete Account, and then tap Delete Account again to confirm.
Gmail (Must be completed on a computer/laptop. There is no way to delete the calendar through the phone app.)
1. On your computer, open Google Calendar.
2. In the top right, click on the gear icon and then Settings.
3. In the left-hand column, find the calendar you want to delete.
4. Click the name of the calendar.
5. Scroll down to Remove calendar > Unsubscribe > Remove Calendar.
Outlook (on a computer)
1. In Calendar, in the Folder Pane, right-click the name of the calendar that you want to delete.
2. Click Delete Calendar.
3. To confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Additional support documentation available here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/delete-a-calendar-9ba1364c-bdb0-41be-8f66-eaf96698d021
|Home Page (not Logged-In)
1. Please locate the LOGIN at the top of the screen. Click on the link.
2. Two fields will appear for your username and password. In most instances, your username is your first and last name. If you have forgotten your password, please follow the "forgot username or password" process and enter the email address associated with your account. For additional assistance see the other FAQs below or email email@example.com.
3. After you fill in your credentials to login, you will be presented with a new home page for parents.
4. You can navigate by clicking on any of the tiles (e.g., Blog), but it is faster if you use the icon with the three horizontal lines on the top left (hamburger icon).
|Mobile Navigation (Not Logged In)
1. To expand the categories under a top level navigation, firmly press the + (Plus Button) to expand the screen.
Home Page (Logged In)
1. Once you login, you will be presented with a new Home Page that includes your name in the header.
Mobile Navigation (Logged In)
1. To expand the categories under a top level navigation, firmly press the + (Plus Button) to expand the screen.
- What does Avenues OPEN provide?
- How do I reset my password and/or find my username?
- What should I do if I keep getting a multiple accounts error message?
- Is there a mobile app?
- What should I do after I log in for the first time?
- I'm not receiving emails from Avenues! What's going on?
Avenues OPEN will provide you with:
- A single portal that features news and information from campus leadership, faculty, your student teachers, athletics, the Avenues Parent Association and more.
- Fewer emails as we leverage Avenues OPEN to transform and streamline our communications.
- Streamlined access to documents, forms, resources and tools as we migrate many of our paper documents to the web to keep them more current and easily accessible.
- New faculty and class directories.
- Calendars and personalized household calendars.
- Access to the OPEN blog where you can view faculty bios and read articles that feature on-campus and in-classroom happenings.
- New athletics content with teams and athletic calendars and events.
Improved access to photo/video galleries and student showcases
- Community tools and a directory for parents.
You may use the “forgot your username or password” link to retrieve your username and reset your password. This link is located on the upper right corner of the Avenues OPEN homepage.
You will be prompted to enter the email address we have on file for your account.
A link will be provided in the email for you to update your password.
After you change your password, please return to Avenues OPEN and log in with your new credentials.
Since each parent/guardian in a household has an Avenues OPEN account, each individual must also have a unique email address.
If you wish to keep one email for your household or add another email to your activate account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive further instructions on how to reset your password.
We encourage all parents and guardians to complete the following items:
- Review and update your family and student information in your Household Profile.
- Update your child’s health information and upload any remaining health documents into Magnus Health.
- Visit the Calendar page to sync relevant calendars to your personal calendar (Google, Apple Calendar, Outlook).
- Review and update your directory preferences (if needed).
- Explore the site.
There are a number of reasons why you may not be receiving emails from Avenues. If you are experiencing this issue, please read below from some helpful tips or reach out to email@example.com.
If you have an AOL email address, AOL may be blocking emails from various senders. This has been an ongoing issue where AOL will place an automatic block on a sender's IP address for 24 hours. After 24 hours, the email should go through, but inexplicably, AOL can block an email sender again. To ensure you always receive Avenues emails, consider providing Avenues an alternate email address.
Perhaps you signed up for a third party service like Unroll me which works hard to manage your inbox for you. Unfortunately, Unroll.me can decide to send all emails from Avenues straight to the "rollup" folder which is essentially, a spam or junk folder. Try checking out some tips from the Unroll.me FAQ on how to manage your rollup folder.
Haven't signed up for a third party email subscription manager but you're still not receiving emails from Avenues? Check out these tips from google on how to solve some common gmail issues.
Spam and Trash Folders
Your internet service provider’s spam filter may block our emails or flag them as SPAM/JUNK. Check your email’s spam folder to see if messages from the school have been accidentally marked as spam. Select an email from the school and click the “Not spam” button to prevent our messages from routing here in the future.
- Work Email Accounts
If messages are not in your spam folder and you are still not receiving emails from us, the issue could be with your email server blocking our messages. This often happens with some employer email services. To correct this, contact your IT department to whitelist our emails or provide us with an alternate e-mail address here.
Verify Your Email Address
During the admissions process you may have provided only one email address for the household so we do not have a valid email address entered into our database for each parent/guardian within the household. It's also possible that the email address provided contains a typographical error or is no longer an active address and needs to be changed in our system. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to resolve the issue.
- Canvas User Guide
- WHY ARE ALL OF MY CHILD'S ASSIGNMENTS MARKED AS LATE? WHY CAN'T I SEE MY CHILD'S GRADES?
- I'M RECEIVING TOO MANY CANVAS EMAILS. HOW DO I TURN OFF THESE ALERTS?
- WHY AM I HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING IN ON MY PHONE?
- Where do I login to Canvas?
PDF slides from our Canvas presentation to parents are available here. You can also watch a short orientation tutorial below for more tips on navigation and grading.
The Canvas mobile app is early in its development and does not accurately display grades, feedback, or missing assignments. We recommend that you do not use it at this time. If you do log into the mobile app, keep in mind that it should only be used to access assignments and due dates, not grades and feedback. Please use the web interface to monitor assignment completion and feedback.
If you have additional questions regarding grading or assignments, please contact the individual instructor or your child's dean.
Canvas is equipped with a number of notification options, though the default setting is to send all notifications. This can be a lot of emails! We recommend turning off the majority of notifications. Click here for further instructions. You can also watch a short video below for instructions on how to customize email frequency:
The first time you log into the Canvas app on your phone, you will need to link your account to your student's account. To do this, you must log in with your student's avenues.org email address and password.
You will only need to log in with your student's credentials the first time. Afterwards, you can log in with your own log in (which is the same log in you use for OPEN).
On the homepage, click on "News + Events" and then on "APA":
On the APA page, you'll find a link to Connect on the right-hand side:
Within the Connect community, you can add your post to the activity stream:
Subscribe to receive an email update whenever another parent posts in the online community:
*Please note that users who are subscribed to the activity stream will not receive an email notification of their own post.